Cebu, the Queen City of the South and is the oldest city in the Philippines which forms part of the Cebu Metropolitan Area together with four neighboring cities. It is said to be one of the most developed provinces in the Philippines. Cebu City is the center of trade, commerce and even education in the Visayas area. In addition to this, there are a lot of tourist attractions that the place can offer leading to it’s rapid economy growth. Here are the top tourist attractions I consider.
1. Basilica Minore del Santo Niño. It is a minor basilica in Cebu City in the Philippines that was founded in the 16th century. It is the oldest Roman Catholic church established in the country that was built on the spot where the image of the Santo Niño de Cebu, a statue depicting the Holy Child Jesus was found in 1565 by Spanish explorers led by Miguel Lopez de Legazpi. Now, the church bell tower is under construction after a 7.2 magnitude earthquake hit the place.
2. Sinulog Festival. It is an annual festival held on the third Sunday of January in Cebu City. The biggest festival in the place where it commemorates the Filipino people’s pagan origin, and their acceptance of Roman Catholicism. A lot of people from different places come to witness this marvelous celebration that lasted for nine days. This year, it was indeed another successful event despite the many tragedies that happened within the past few months. It made Cebuano’s faith even tighter.
3. Magellan’s Cross. It is a Christian cross planted by Portuguese, and Spanish explorers as ordered by Ferdinand Magellan upon arriving in Cebu in the Philippines. For protection the original cross is encased inside the wooden cross that is found in the center of the chapel but some believe that it is only a replica and that the original one was destroyed after Magellan’s death.
4. Lapu-lapu Shrine. This is located in Punta Engano, Lapu-lapu City. The statue was built in honor of Lapu-Lapu, a native leader who defeated Spanish soldiers led by the Portuguese explorer Ferdinand Magellan.
5. Malapascua Island. This island has an amazing beaches as well where you can also enjoy fantastic diving experience. This little island off Cebu’s northern tip has been growing steadily more famous over the years for its long, white beaches, great food and low-key approach to tourism.
6. Bantayan Island. This place provides a great relaxation except during Holy Week that transforms the island into a crowded tent city. The beautiful white beaches and the clear waters contributes the whole attraction of the place.
7. Kawasan Falls. It has the finest and most popular falls in Cebu. This is located in the Southern part of Cebu which is in Badian. The falls consist of three layers where the first one is the biggest and is more crowded.
8. Osmeña Peak. This is where you can clearly see the best views in Cebu. You can see Negros and Bohol on each side. It is a fun place to do mountain climbing or hiking with friends and witness the beautiful sunset. Osmeña Peak is known to be the highest point of elevation in the island of Cebu.
9. Oslob white whale sharks. This place is known for it’s white whale sharks where you can closely see, touch and feed them for a remarkable experience. But due to numerous and uncontrollable people visiting and feeding the sharks, the municipality of Oslob is now controlling whale shark watching. The amended ordinance provides for measures for protection and conservation of marine wild life, particularly whale sharks. There are new regulations and guidelines supported by fees, fines and penalties for violations. On the other hand, the white sand beaches and aquamarine hues also catches the attention of the many tourists visiting the place.
10. Olango Wildlife Sanctuary. The Olango Wildlife Sanctuary supports the largest concentration of migratory birds found so far in the Philippines. A place where you can see different kinds of birds from different location resting in the area due to the cold weather in the place where they came from and then travels back if the temperature is back to normal.